Community colleges nationwide are helping former members of the U.S. Armed Forces earn their CDL.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has awarded over $3 million to community colleges and training institutes to help veterans earn their commercial driver's license.
The Commercial Motor Vehicle Operator Safety Training (CMVOST) Grant Program provides government funds to assist current and former members of the Armed Forces to pursue careers in trucking and earn their CDL, while also providing the training they need to enter the logistics industry.
The government program has three goals:
- to expand the number of CDL holders with operator safety training
- to provide opportunities for current or former members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including National Guard members and reservists, and their spouses to enter trucking or bussing
- to increase training opportunities for candidates from underserved communities
Here is the list of community colleges participating in the Commercial Motor Vehicle Operator Safety Training program:
- Advanced Technology Institute (VA)
- Central Georgia Technical College (GA)
- Collin Community College (TX)
- Commercial Driver Services Inc (VA)
- Community College of Baltimore County (MD)
- Des Moines Area Community College (IA)
- Global Trucking Academy LLC (LA)
- Hawkeye Community College (IA)
- Johnson County Community College (KS)
- Klamath Community College (OR)
- Lehigh Carbon Community College (PA)
- Lone Star College System District (TX)
- Nordic Enterprises (FL)
- Northwest Florida State College (FL)
- Tidewater Community College (VA)
- Truck Driver Institute of FL, Inc. (FL)
- Wor Wic Community College (MD)
- York County School of Technology (PA)
For more information about the government grant program, please click here.
About Drive Logistics
Founded in 2016, Jacksonville-based Drive Logistics is a veteran-owned trucking company that provides business support services to trucker owner operators with the passion to run their own trucking business. Drive Logistics is recognized as the premier company for truckers to secure comprehensive business solutions, innovative tools and benefits committed to help its clients make their entrepreneurial dreams a reality. Drive Logistics offers billing, collections, broker negotiation, IT services, back-office support and many other business services to trucking company owners. Drive Logistics operates in the contiguous 48 states and its executive team has over 100 years of combined experience in the trucking industry. For more information, please visit drivelogistics.com.